The WA Club is a private members club for business professionals to network, socialise and relax.
Established as the Exchange Club in 1893 to create a meeting place for men working for the growth and betterment of the Swan River Colony. In 1897 the Club changed its name to the West Australian Club. From 1897 to 1970, the Club resided at 46 St Georges Terrace Perth. It was at the Club that the major discussions outside Parliament were held concerning Western Australia entering the proposed Federation of Australian States.
New Club premises were built at 18 The Esplanade and in 1970 The Club moved “off the Terrace” and remained at the Esplanade for 26 years. The Club changed its name to The Western Australian Club Inc. in 1979.
In 1995 the Esplanade site was sold and The Club moved to 101 St George’s Terrace, Perth. The building was in need of refurbishment and this was undertaken by the architectural firm of Ian Watson and Associates, and the work being carried out by John Holland Construction and Engineering Pty Ltd.
1893 A Club known as The Exchange Club is formed and occupies premises on the corner of Barrack Street and St George’s Terrace.
1897 The Exchange Club moves to premises owned by Mr.E.W.Loton at 46 St George’s Terrace and changes its name to The West Australian Club Ltd.
1907 Renovated premises opened by Sir Newton Moore – The Premier of Western Australia.
1926 The West Australian Club Ltd. purchases premises at 46 St George’s Terrace from Mr. E. W. Loton – Price £27,000.
1936 Premises renovated and extended including the addition of a third floor.
1949 The West Australian Club Ltd. changes its name to The West Australian Club (Inc.) by act of Parliament. (The West Australian Club (Private) Bill, introduced to parliament 1948, V.&P. 1948, Vol. 2, Paper A 3).
1955 Esplanade property acquired from W.A. Newspapers Ltd. for sum of £45,000.
1956 Esplanade site cleared and sealed as a Car park.
1968 St. George’s terrace premises sold to St. Matrtins Properties Ltd.
1970 New Premises on Esplanade opened by His Excellency Major General Sir Douglas Kendrew, K.C.M.G., C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O. Governor of W.A.
1976 The West Australian Club (Inc.) sells half interest in Esplanade Property to Nullagine Investments Pty. Ltd.
1979 Change of name from The West Australian Club (Inc.) to The Western Australian Club (Inc.)
1990 “A Club for all Seasons – a history of The Western Australian Club (Inc.)” published.
1993 The Club celebrates its 100th Birthday 15th November 1993
1995 Purchase of 101 St George’s Terrace – for $3.2 million.
2007 Sale of 101 St Georges Terrace for $9.79 million.
2011 Membership peak at approximately 1,130 members
2014 Moved into Level 11, 12 St George’s Terrace, Perth WA 6000.
2018 June – Lease broken unable to meet financial obligations – lease was signed at the top of the market rates. Membership at 475. In liquidation.
November – New association formed The Western Australian Club Heritage to restart and revitalise The Club, many members supported this.
2019 March – Meet and Greet to gauge interest in the revitalised club.
May – Wine Tasting
June – Zweck Gala Ball for Perth Children’s Hospital Foundation
September – Spring into The Swan Valley Bus Tour – Wine, Cheese, Chocolate..
October – 126 Years of The WA Club Celebration
November – Start of Monthly Sundowners “Start a New Month” 1st Friday each month
December – Christmas Lunch
2020 January – Australia Day